September 04, 2019

Come see Japanese beauty through Dutch eyes in Gifu!


From September 5 to September 26 I will be exhibiting a series of brand new works on washi in a solo exhibition titled: 'Enchanted; Japanese beauty through Dutch eyes.' The exhibition will be held at Masa Gallery, located on the 3rd floor of Masa21 Shopping Center in Gifu Japan (see map below). The exhibition is free and open to the public, the exhibition will be open daily from 9am-9pm.

I have been working non stop to get these pieces ready and I am very excited to finally share them with the public. Amongst the new pieces at the exhibition are three 'Kakejiku', Japanese hanging scrolls, that have been handmade by some very talented craftsmen here in Nagoya. 

As I have been exploring the possibilities of washi the pieces have become larger and more elaborate. I have also been experimenting with 'Kirihaku' the Japanese technique of cutting gold and silver leaf which is quite a challenge I must say.

This exploration of Japanese paper has been such a joy that I wanted to share a little bit of the experience with all of you so I created a video to show you a little bit of this wonderful journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment