April 05, 2011

Shouldn't I be freaking out by now?

I’m about a week away from the start of my show and somehow it feels like I should be having panic attacks by now. I mean, this is going to be my first solo show and I’m basically organizing the entire thing myself so panicking seems like a very reasonable thing to do right now. And yet I’m still calm, I feel like everything is in hand. Sure I’m very excited about the whole thing and there are some nerves as well, I can’t deny that, but full blown panic, nope, not feeling it. 

I was working on ‘Vancouver’ the other day and that being the last piece that needs to be finished before the show you would think I’d be going crazy. I was totally expecting a lack of creativity or a complete painters block and I was totally surprised when I was just enjoying the fact that I had time to spend in my studio and just paint. I was completely and utterly happy!

I’m a fairly organized person (most of the time), I make lists and try to get things done well ahead of time. I think this is one of the ways I have dealt with the stress of all of this. I’ve kept myself busy with all the preparations. Having my lists and steadily being able to cross stuff off of those lists, even when other stuff would be added at the same time, kept me sane. When I start to freak out about something I just write it down on my list and let it go because I knew that when it’s on the list it will get done so I don’t have to worry about it anymore. 

When you ask him my husband will probably tell you that I’ve been somewhat preoccupied and I’ve been doing things way earlier then they might have needed to be done. I think I completely baffled him when I started assembling my greeting cards about four weeks in advance. But being this organized and prepared has its perks because now, a week before my show, I’m completely relaxed. I’m very excited about the show and I can’t wait till it’s all up because I want to see how it’s all going to look. It also means that I will be able to enjoy the entire experience because it’s not going to be over shadowed by last minute preparations. 

This being said I’m still wondering, shouldn’t I be freaking out right now? 

No comments:

Post a Comment