December 24, 2018

Happy Holidays!

In Japan it is custom to send New Year’s postcards (年賀状 nengajo) to friends and relatives, similar to the Western custom of sending Christmas cards. Traditionally these cards are decorated to show the new zodiac, 2019 is the year of the boar.
With 4 group exhibitions, 1 solo exhibition, the start of a whole new body of work, the launch of my brand new website and load and loads of classes and workshops, 2018 has been an absolutely amazing year!

Living in Japan comes with a unique set of challenges but if you keep an open mind, have a bit of courage, some amazing friends and a lot of patience it comes with great rewards. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to establish myself as an artist here in Nagoya over the past year. Many of the events and classes I have been a part of this year would not have been possible without the help of this amazing group of fellow artists and friends I have met here. The artist community here in Nagoya is so generous, genuine and truly one of a kind! I would like to extend a special thank you to all the wonderful people who have so generously shared their knowledge and techniques with me this past year. This country continues to be extremely inspiring and I feel very lucky that I will have a little bit more time to explore its rich art history and culture in 2019.


Next to adding quite a few pieces to my continuing 'Traveling the World' series, I also started a whole new body of work titled 'World on Washi' which is inspired not only by Japan as a subject but also by many of the Japanese techniques and materials I have experienced as well as the Japanese minimalist esthetics. This body of work is still in its early stages but I have big plans for new pieces in the coming year so keep an eye on my website and social media pages (FacebookInstagram). 

For those of you interested I still have some pieces available on my website and Saachi Art and if you're looking for something custom I work on commission as well, just send me an email for additional information. If you're in Toronto or Motréal, I am working with two wonderful galleries who would be happy to assist you in finding the perfect piece for your collection. In Toronto you can visit Latitude 44 Gallery located on 2900 Dundas st. West in the Junction area and in Montréal you can find my work at Viva Vida Art Gallery located on 278 Lakeshore drive in Pointe Claire, and for my Montréal audience we will have a little surprise coming up in early 2019 so keep an eye out for future blog posts! 

I would like to wish you all a wonderful holiday season and an art filled and creative year of the boar! 


良いお年を! (Happy New Year!)


No comments:

Post a Comment