June 07, 2018

`Treasures of Tranquility` awarded Foreign Minister Award at Toyota Museum.


Last month my artwork `Treasures of Tranquility` was awarded the prestigious Foreign Minister award during the Global Artists Exhibition at the Toyota Municipal Museum of Art. I was told that I am one of the first foreign artists to have been awarded this honour which made it even more special!

It is always a little scary introducing your work to a new public and even more so when that public comes from a completely different background and culture. `Treasures of Tranquility` was one of the first Japan inspired pieces I created and this was the first time it was on display. I am very happy that the work was received so well!

The Global Artists Exhibition was a very special event to be a part of. With over 70 artists from 12 different countries there was a lot of variety in subject matter, styles and materials which was very inspiring. But the best thing about exhibitions like these is that you get to see artists that come from a completely different background. This year there was a wonderful group of artists from Nepal as well as people from India, New Zealand, Ireland, the US and of course a large group of Japanese artists as well. 

Two newspapers printed an article about the exhibition, both of them wrote about my piece because of the award and one of them even used a picture that showed my piece! The articles are all in Japanese, of course but Google translate has come in handy :) 


The exhibition was held at the Toyota Municipal Museum of Art, a beautiful, contemporary museum with a wonderful mirror garden. It was an amazing experience to see my work in such a beautiful space. The architecture of the museum is really awesome so after the exhibition I took the opportunity to take some `glamour` shots of my piece outside.




No comments:

Post a Comment