February 29, 2012

On Competition, classes and coinciding events


February has flown by, March is already knocking on the door and things have been busy here in a snowy Montreal. The move is going smoothly so far and even though it’s been distracting me from my painting I’ve still managed to be somewhat productive. I’ve mostly been working on my Montreal Boroughs project, three pieces are now completely finished, one piece is ready for it’s final layer of paint and I have three other pieces in several stages of development. I’ve even managed to squeeze in another direct transfer experiment although I haven’t been able to finish it yet. 


This past Monday was the final class of the Acrylic gel transfer course that I was teaching at Viva Vida art gallery. We had a great group that produced some amazing pieces. I never thought I would have this much fun teaching a class, I am looking forward to the next one, which will start in early April. If you would like to join us you can contact Viva Vida Art Gallery at 514 694 1110.




This morning I received a lovely email from the people at New Master Artist telling me that I am one of the winners of their New Master 2011 Expert Top 10. I am very honoured and would like to take this opportunity to thank all the people that voted for me as well as the New Master Artist website for this amazing opportunity. The great thing about this competition was that there were no entry fees which is very unusual for an artist competition. The New Master Artist website is a unique independent online space where artists and qualified art experts from around the world form a community where they can openly share information and discover each others work.

Over the weekend I’ll be traveling to New York City for the opening of ‘Women in Art’ a group show to celebrate International Women’s Day to be held at the Ward-Nasse Gallery. Women of different nationalities will be displaying works in painting, drawing, sculpture, and photography, from March 1st to March 31st, 2012. The Ward-Nasse Gallery is a nonprofit artist-administrated space for visual, spoken and performing arts, located in the heart of Soho. The shows opening reception will be held on March 3rd from 7-10 pm. “Women’s in Art 2012” will be open to the public Tuesdays to Saturdays from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm and Sundays from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm at 178 Prince Street NY-NY.



This weekend will also see the opening of ‘Art and Architecture’, a group show that features art about architecture, and art by architects, Presentations and artist-talks to be announced during the exhibition. This show will be held at Fleurbain which is conveniently located close to McGill and Place des Arts metros, with plenty of street and paid parking nearby. See their website and blog for information on workshops, herbalism, art, and all things verdant about life in the city. The vernissage will be held on March 3rd from 7-10 pm. “Art and Architecture” will be open to the public Tuesdays to Saturdays from 3-6 pm or by appointment at 460 St Catherine Street West, Unit 917, Montreal, QC.

No comments:

Post a Comment