March 08, 2011

Classic Procrastination

Sooo, yeah.... I'm working on Vancouver, well, maybe working on is a bit optimistic. Sometimes when I'm working on a piece and I'm in the early stages, I get a sort of block, it's an actual physical feeling, it's hard to describe. At this point I will often unconsciously look for other things to do, things that, in my mind, are way more important that actually working on this painting. I just realized that was exactly what I am doing at this moment. I kind of knew this was coming when i started this piece,i think I mentioned it in an earlier blog entry. It has something to do with the fact that I know I have very little material to work with for this piece and somehow also with the fact that I'm not quite happy with the choices I've made so far on this piece, at least I think that's what it is.

Now you would think that there would be an easy solution for this, just go and do something else and get back to it later. But somehow that doesn't help either because that would actually make me feel even worse about myself. I know that there's only one way to get out of this Vancouver shaped funk and that is to just get on with it. I will probably spend the rest of the day sorting through my pictures and maybe print one or two to add to the piece but it is going to be slow going for the ret of the day. And then maybe, if I'm lucky, things will fall into place tomorrow.

I would be interested to know if this is just my creative process or if it's something most artists deal with, what do you think? 

1 comment:

  1. I think that if you dont know how to truly rest, then you labour in vain. Think about it. If you don't know what rest is then you don't know what you are aiming to acheive in even doing this peice. I know what you are aiming to acheive in making this peice even though you don't. You are actually aiming at acheiving REST - peace, fulfillment, accomplishment, glory, joy, happyness and well being. But because you know not of these things than you find you work tedious, labourious and unpromising so you naturally look for a quick fix solution called 'Classic Procrastination' and even acheive a little of that 'rest' in doing it but not true rest ;-)

    ReplyDelete