March 25, 2013

The need to start something new


The last couple of months have really been devoted to finishing ‘Discoveries; Montreal’.  I have been able to do some unrelated pieces in between but almost all of those have been part of existing series, there hasn’t been much time for experimentation. When I finish this current project though, I feel that it is time to start something completely new, something unrelated to ‘Traveling the World’ or ‘Discoveries; Montreal’. Maybe using new techniques or at least moving away form the type of cityscapes I have been doing. This doesn’t mean that I won’t be making any of those anymore, I still love creating them and I have tons of cities that I still want to do but I also feel that it’s time to move beyond that and stretch my creative muscles a bit. 

Even though I feel like it’s time for a change and I’m excited about experimenting and creating something new, it also scares the crap out of me! I have been getting very comfortable with my cityscapes but for an artist that’s actually not a very good place to be. You need to keep pushing yourself to develop and grow otherwise you’ll risk becoming a one trick pony. But change is scary, especially if the work you do currently sells well. All the more reason to go ahead and do it anyway!

In my experience change has always brought along positive things and personal growth. It’s never easy and usually it requires some hard work and perseverance but in the end you’ll always end up in a better place. So when I finish this project I am going to embrace the fear and jump head forward into something new, I have no idea what that is going to be yet, but I am going to have a great time figuring that out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment