January 19, 2011

Contemplations on being an artist

Being an artist can be like swimming against a strong current, it's hard work.Not only are you constantly battling your own insecurities and creative ups and downs. But at the same time you have to keep convincing the world around you that you are an artist and that this is your job. Being able to do what you love every day is a blessing, and I feel very fortunate to be able to do this. But that doesn't mean that it's always fun.

Somehow people seem to have a hard time taking you seriously when you're an artist. Most of them will think you're just playing around with your hobby doing a bit of crafts. They don't understand that you have to show up at your easel every day and that skipping a day feels like a horrible crime. I get really cranky if I don't get enough time to paint during my week, it makes me feel stressed and I'm no fun to be around.

The fact that I'm still starting out as an artist and haven't sold a lot of pieces kind of adds to this view people often have. On a daily basis I not only have to convince myself that I'm good enough but I also have to convince the world around me that I'm not just playing around and that I'm really serious about making it as an artist.

And then I haven't even touched on the difficulty of getting recognition from the professional art world. That's a whole beast in and of its self, a lot has already been written about that and I don't have the illusion that I could add something new to that.

Now I have to admit that I have a few precious people around me that not only support my decision on being an artist but encourage it as well and I am so very grateful for having them. I am a professional artist and I'm proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment