March 03, 2011

Time for Vancouver

Yesterday I finished the last piece of my Yellow Cab Project, this project consists of six pieces all featuring yellow cabs. All six pieces came out distinctly different, which I like. I will post them to my website tomorrow or early next week, together with two experimental pieces I finished recently. The most valuable thing that came out of this project for me personally was the experience of working on wood panels instead of canvas. I have to say I really like the wood panels, I've already prepared a bigger one for my next piece and if that's a success I might even switch on more future projects. The wood panels give way more stability when glueing my acrylic gel transfers, which helps with the air bubbles a lot. So, a good development it seems.

For my next piece I will be doing Vancouver. It will be the same size as my piece on Toronto, and as I mentioned earlier, it will be on a wood panel instead of canvas. This will be a challenging project for multiple reasons. First challenge is that I only spend about half a day in the city and it was raining the whole time. That means that I do not have a lot of material to work with. The rainy picture might make it more interesting though, I've never done a piece where I solely used rain pictures. The fact that I have very limited photo material will be a huge challenge that will stretch my creativity to the limit. A good thing I know, but it is going to cause me a lot of frustration during the first stages of the work.

Another challenge will come from a new method I want to try out. When I did the Toronto piece I had to print a couple of buildings in pieces because of the size limit of my printer. this caused some problems when I reassembled the gel transfers, the gel is flexible so it stretches or shrinks a little which makes reassembly very difficult. For this piece I want to see if I can reassemble the pieces before I add the gel. This will mean I'm going to have bigger gel pieces to work with which is going to be extremely difficult during the paper removal and glueing stages. This is where I think the wood panel will help a lot, or at least I hope it will.

These are the things that keep my mind occupied at the moment, I'm sure I will be raging some more before this piece is done, I see artistic frustrations in my future, bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment