October 13, 2010

Aaaah, to many great pictures!!!

I've been sorting through all my Ottawa pictures and there are just so many good ones I don't know where to start! I have to pick one as the starting point for my piece but I have 531 picture to choose from! I'm trying to make a selection of the ones I definitely want to use so I can narrow it down a bit. That usually ends up being a bit useless because I go back to the big stash anyways but somehow sorting them at this stage helps me focus. By the end of the piece I will have seen all of my pictures a gazillion times and know exactly what's in that Ottawa folder on my desktop. But for now that folder is still one big challenge. 
I thinks it's part of my creative process to have one or two days at the start of a piece where I just don't know where I'm going or even where to start. I know that it will figure its self out in my head after some time and that at one point the piece basically creates its self. But at this point in time that moment seems some distant future that might never happen. 
People often ask me if creating my pieces is difficult and usually my answer is no because in hindsight it always seems like the piece created itself. But now that I'm at the start of a new piece I realize that maybe next time they ask me I should say yes, because it is difficult. I go through this creative process that has a lot of ups and downs, mainly downs at the moment, and it takes time and patience and a lot of guts to see it through to the end. And then I haven't even considered the knowledge of composition, light, color and technique that is involved.
Right now I'm feeling like I have to climb this impossible mountain but I know that I will reach the summit somehow and that it will be in the near future. It would help if I didn't have a cat sprawled all over my keyboard though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment