March 28, 2012

Preparations and Presentations


I had two presentations to give in the past week s preparations were in order. On Wednesday I was invited to be a guest speaker at the Artistes Hudson Artists Association. They asked for a demonstration of my techniques so I had to prepare multiple pieces indifferent stages so I could demonstrate every step of the creation process. Luckily the pieces of my Boroughs project are the perfect size and I had several in different stages of production. Since my work is partially done on the computer I had to bring my laptop and projector as well, it almost felt like I was moving again with the amount of stuff that ended up in the car for the drive to Hudson.  

With the exception of some minor computer glitches the presentation went great, the Hudson Artist Association is a great bunch of people and they made me feel very welcome. Everyone was very interested and the time flew by. I was really surprised that I managed to fill 1 hour and 15 minutes just talking about my process. I had a great evening and met some amazing new people so all in all a very successful evening. 





When I gave my image transfer course at Viva Vida Art Gallery February a couple of people asked me if I could give a demonstration on how to use epoxy resin on your artwork. So on Monday a crowd of 20 people had gathered at Viva Vida Art Gallery to see me wield my blowtorch, probably secretly hoping I would set my artwork on fire ;-)) Luckily no fires were set and the demonstration was a huge success. Doing a demo on epoxy resin required some planning and preparations, especially because the process is very time sensitive. We ended up splitting the evening up in two parts with a nice coffee break in between. This allowed me to go over the process first and demonstrate it after the break. Having the food and drink out of the way for the demonstration was important as well because epoxy resin fumes are never healthy. To make sure everyone was safe we provided dust masks for everyone which was quite a funny sight. More picture of the evening can be found here. 


Now that all the presentations are done I’ll be able to start work on the next piece in the ‘Journey’ series. The pieces of my Boroughs Project that were part of the demonstration on Wednesday will have to stay like this for a little while longer, just until after the first class of my next image transfer course, which is due to start in the second or third week of April. This will give me plenty of time to work on some other pieces in the meantime and maybe even start photographing the rest of the Boroughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment