April 15, 2011

Vernissage Fun

I think I speak for many artists out there when I say this. My greatest fear for this solo show,  was that nobody would show up for the vernissage (the opening reception). Luckily I can report that the turnout was amazing! The gallery was packed with a mix of friends, acquaintances and perfect strangers, it was wonderful! I got to catch up with people I hadn’t talked to in ages and everybody loved the work. All that would already have made the evening very successful but on top of that I sold 2 pieces as well! so you can imagine I’m over the moon right now!

Regular readers of this blog will know that organizing this show and last nights vernissage have been a lot of work. But honestly, doing al the work up front really pays off! For anyone who’s looking to organize an art show, or any other event for that matter, I cannot stress this enough. It really is all in the preparation. I know most of you will complain about lack of studio time, I said the same in this very blog. But if you are going to go through the trouble of organizing a show you might as well do it right, it would be a shame to go through all the trouble and pay all the money and not prepare for it properly because you’d rather spent a couple of extra hours in your studio. Painting time will come after the show. “Do it right or don’t do it at all” is my motto. There were many people laughing at me for doing stuff way upfront but the whole process of preparing has been way less stressful because I did stuff when I could instead of when I absolutely had to. 

All of the hard work pays off, especially in the end when its time to hang the show and prepare for the vernissage. When things go smoothly because you’re well prepared you will feel so much better about yourself which will make it possible to enjoy the experience instead of stressing out about the details. 

I was able to have an absolute blast at my vernissage, I enjoyed every single second of it. There wasn’t a moment that I had to think about anything else then talking to people about my work, making them feel welcome and enjoying their compliments. I think that’s what a vernissage, and an art show in general is all about. When you’re finally at that point where you’re going to share your work with the world there’s nothing more encouraging and inspiring then hearing from people that they enjoy what you do. The lack of studio time that was the result of all that organizing will be payed back by the boost you get from the people enjoying your work. 

I am really enjoying myself at the moment and I will be until the end of the show. And then, when it’s time to get back into the studio, I will take all this positive energy with me to create a whole new series of works for my next show, because there will be a next time!

If there’s anyone who has questions about organizing a show, I’m not claiming to be an expert but I’ve successfully gone through the process myself and I’d be happy to answer any of your questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment